PENNE WITH SAUSAGE AND RED PEPPERS
Serves 4 (adjust the recipe for more)
1/2 pound penne past
½ pound (approx. 10”) Mild Italian Sausage – casing removed – hand separated ¾ “ pieces
½ pound (approx. 10”) Mild Sicilian Sausage – casing removed – hand separated ¾ “ pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 medium red bell peppers (or one large), cored, halved, seeded, sliced in 1/4 -inch wide strips
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 green onions, white and at least 1 ½ inch of some of the green, sliced 1/8”
1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled Italian plum tomatoes with Basil, drained
1 tablespoon each, fresh: Basil leaves, oregano leaves finely chopped
(if you don’t have fresh herbs – ¼ tablespoon dried Basil/Oregano
¼ tablespoon Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat a stockpot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat. (Pasta goes into the boiling water as instructed below.)
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic; cook, stirring, until just softened, two minutes. Add peppers and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, stirring to coat with oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers begin to soften
In another smaller skillet, brown the sausage while the peppers are cooking about 5 minutes. Add onions; cook, stirring often, 5 more minutes.
3. While sausage and peppers are cooking, combine tomatoes, basil,, oregano, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper in a food processor; process very briefly until tomatoes are roughly chopped. (do not liquefy)
4. Add the sausage and onions to the skillet containing the peppers and garlic and transfer the tomato mixture to the skillet. At the same time, place the pasta in the boiling water. Stirring the sauce occasionally, slowly (in intervals) add approximately half of the juice from the canned tomatoes to the skillet. Cook both until the pasta is al dente, about 11 minutes.
4. Drain the pasta and reserve 2 tablespoons of pasta water and add it to the sauce;
Pour the sauce over the pasta in each serving bowl and top each with 1 tablespoon of the grated cheese.
Yield: 4 servings.
Now who in the world only cooks for 4 people? Come on!